Legal, Ethical, and/or Professional Case Review for Week 5
1. Identify a Legal, Ethical, and/or Professional Dilemma relevant for integrated care settings related to one of the following topics: billing, reimbursement, coding, documentation, or a high risk dilemma (e.g.: suicidal, homicidal, malpractice, public relations concerns, quality assurance, diagnostic).
2. Identify differing professionals or ethical lenses for the dilemma to be viewed through.
3. Write a short 1-2 page summary (not including title or reference pages) addressing the following headings: Introduction of the Dilemma, How the Dilemma is Typically Addressed, and How the Dilemma Is Handled with Shared Decision Making
Legal, Ethical, and/or Professional Case Review Rubric
Paper Structure/Writing Style
Length (not including title and reference pages)
References: Minimum of 2 references
1. Length: 1-2 pages, not including title and reference pages
2. References are integrated throughout paper to support/provide justification for student critique.
3. Cited primary sources and included course texts
4. Included title and reference page
One of the below is met:
1. Length: 3-4 pages
2. Integrated references with limited rationale so that literature does not clearly support student opinion. Citations consist of mostly secondary sources
3. Did not include title or reference page
1. Length: More than 4 pages
2. No references
3. No title or reference page
and required headings
Used required headings of:
Introduction of the Dilemma
How the Dilemma is Typically Addressed
How the Dilemma Is Handled with Shared Decision Making
Correct APA format with only 1-2 grammatical and/or spelling errors. References cited and/or reference list only contains 1-2 errors
Very good attempt at APA format, with only 3-5 grammatical and/or spelling errors. References cited and/or reference list contains 3-5 errors
and/or did not use required headings
Poor attempt at APA format with more than 6 grammatical errors or APA format not used; grammatical & spelling errors great enough to confuse the meaning of sentence and/or paper. References not cited in body of paper and/or no reference list (0 points)
Introduction and Summary of Ethical, Legal, and/or Professional Dilemma
What of the Dilemma
Why of the Dilemma
1.Described the ethical, legal, and/or professional dilemma. .
2.Address autonomy, beneficence, nonmaleficence, and/or justice. .
3.Integrated care dilemma.
One of the below is met:
1. Dilemma is vague
2. Described dilemma without using ethical principles (autonomy, beneficence, nonmaleficence, and/or justice).
3. Not an integrated care dilemma.
4. Missed identifying a significant ethical, legal, or professional dilemma associated with the described case example.
Described without clear indication of whys and what the dilemma is.
How this Dilemma is Typically Addressed without shared decision making or case review
Consequences of individualized decision making in integrated care
e.g. Confidentiality, consent, legal, physical and/or emotional harm, professional, scope of practice, culture, power, financial, public relations, business concerns
1.Identified the ethical codes or principles of the professionals who are involved .
2.Describe how each different integrated care professional would handle the dilemma/ their decision making.
3.Identified alternative choices.
4.Identify the consequences to individualized decision making or non-shared review and understanding of integrated care practice ethics, professionalism, and/or legal considerations.