Review the following broad definition of health care quality and answer the questions that follow:
Health care quality occurs when:
• patients can access a continuum of appropriate care and service in a timely manner,
• patients are educated and actively participate in the planning and delivery of their care and service,
• clinical outcomes are achieved with excellence,
• patients achieve their care goals and optimum quality of life,
• patient satisfaction outcomes are delivered with human dignity and compassion,
• staff satisfaction outcomes reflect pride of achievement, and
• Cost/utilization outcomes demonstrate social responsibility.
1. What are your thoughts on this definition of quality? What do you like? What do you dislike? What would you change?
2. What is included in this definition that is not found in many other definitions of health care quality? What is not included in this definition of quality?
3. Is this definition of health care quality realistic and feasible? Explain your answer.